4️⃣0️⃣ 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐈 𝐇𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐋𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐭 𝐀𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐈𝐧 4️⃣0️⃣ 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬…
Yes, I too am amazed that I have managed to keep myself alive for so long! 🤷🏻♀️
But the day has arrived, many moons after I sprang forth from my mother… I have reached Level 40! 😱✊🎂🎊🎉🎈
Along the way on this path of life, I have acquired some golden nuggets of advice / phrases / favourite sayings that I live by… if only I knew all of these things aged 18! 😉
To celebrate this momentous occasion, I shall share my golden nuggets with you – why, happy birthday! 😆🎂🎊🎉
1. The most important one: Every day above ground is a good one!
2. The only opinion about your life which really matters is yours.
3. Don’t waste time doing things you don’t want, nor be with people you don’t like.
4. If something is making you unhappy, stop doing it. You always have a choice.
5. People can only upset you if you allow them to. And we simply don’t deal with dickheads!
6. Go out of your way to do nice things for people you care about. It’s nice to be nice.
7. It’s ok to say no to things, don’t be soft, just admit: nah mate, that’s not for me, thanks. (In my case, hugs, spas, wine, divvies etc…)
8. Some people will never like me. And I will never give a shit! If people don’t like you, those are not your people.
9. Good manners cost nothing but they mean everything. They show you’ve been brought up well, not dragged up.
10. Be grateful for what you have got, not what you haven’t got. You can cheer yourself up every day by just listing ten things you’re truly grateful for.
11. You can’t please everyone all the time, so just please yoursen!
12. A positive frame of mind is a choice – and it’s the better choice of the two.
13 . “I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else”- Winston Churchill
14. Don’t ever say anything or do anything or behave in a way that would make your favourite grandma ashamed of you.
15. You can make progress or you can make excuses – but you can’t make both.
16. If you don’t heal from what hurt you, you’ll bleed all over someone who didn’t cut you. Get over bad shit – Elsa’s right: let it go!
17. No matter your past, your future is spotless. It’s never too late to have a happy ending.
18. If you are born poor, it’s not your fault. If you die poor, it’s entirely your fault.
19. It’s ok to change your views based on new information.
20. Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change.
21. Privilege is good, but graft is better.
22. There is no competition because nobody else is me.
23. Don’t let someone dim your light simply because it’s shining in their eyes.
24. Remind yourself when bad things happen: I’m too stubborn to let this take me down!
25. You are what you do. Not what you say. And not many people actually do what they say they’ll do! Integrity is everything.
26. Holding onto anger is like swallowing poison and expecting the other person to die.
27. You’ll never be as young as you are right now, and you’re one step closer to death every day. So gerronwi’it, do the things you want to do. We’re here for a good time, not a long time.
28. Only death is unfixable. Everything else can be mended.
29. The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it. Smile, nod, thank them for their input, and do it anyway.
30. It is better to try and fail than to fail to try at all. It’s always a no if you don’t even try.
31. Being female is a matter of birth, being a woman is a matter of age, but being a lady is a matter of choice.
32. Most people are more focused on looking rich than becoming rich. Material things are just that; things. They don’t determine your worth.
33. You cannot save everyone. Some people are going to destroy themselves no matter how much you try to help them.
34. You don’t always get what you wish for, but you always get what you work for.
35. You need to put time, effort and energy into making anything work – even friendships and relationships.
36. You’re not as ugly, fat, boring or as weird as you think you are. Well maybe weird, but that’s ok; you’re Limited Edition, baby!
37. Trust your gut instinct about people and situations; it usually knows best.
38. If you can’t change something, you have to change the way you think about it.
39. One of my faves: The question isn’t who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me?!?
40. And finally… Once you truly stop giving a shit what other people think of you, you experience an awesome level of freedom like never before. 😁🙌
Take these wise words, fine people, and share them far and wide!